2017 Session Recap:
- Focus on Mobile
o Design for mobile first.
o Design for the desktop homepage last (due to rise of mobile and sideways traffic from social and search, no longer the most important).
- Invest in alternative forms of revenue.
o Banner display only accounts for 45% of BillyPenn’s revenue
o Events are the primary source of income
- On-Demand Events (based around current events in the news) are hard to design and execute.
- Focus on social events. BillyPenn has had success by highlighting leaders within an industry.
- Staff accordingly and pull the entire organization (editorial and sales) into the development process.
- Build an interesting and authentic brand
o “Someone coming to BillyPenn should find interesting stories,” written by BillyPenn or shared from other local sources (don’t be afraid to link out).
o Capture the spirit of the city you are in and build a relationship with your readers.
o Consider the lifetime value of your readers (pageviews matter, but unique users matter more).
o Avoid a heavy ad experience.
- Make use of a small staff by writing stories with a long shelf life
- Build a newsroom that is willing to change and adapt