Hosting an event allows news media organizations to connect with readers in a unique setting, engage with new customers, increase face-to-face engagement, connect with the community, energize staff, and secure revenue from another marketing bucket. Here are some tips to help you host a successful event.
- Identify an unfilled need in your community, and fill it – happy hours for millennials, senior event that includes free health screenings and a visit with Betty White, high school sports award banquet with a famous sports figure as the guest speaker, and “Best of the Best” event that celebrates winners from all categories of business (print/digital campaign extension).
- Create a unique customer experience by pulling out all of the stops – include a red carpet, champagne, VIP tickets sold at a premium, meet and greets with recognizable celebrities, etc.
- Host a cultural experience event, or a civic dialogue-focused event, and have editors moderate.
- Replace a show hosted by an out-of-town organizer with one of your own. Sixty percent of revenue is spent by traveling shows to promote the event – news media organizations can do it at no cost.
- Consider hiring an experienced outside organization to coordinate the event if you are short on staffing or time.