2017 Session Recap
A group of community publishers shared some tips that have been successful for their organizations, and may be for yours as well.
- Focused reporting - divide newsroom in two so half can focus on print reporting, and the other half on digital reporting.
- Compelling coverage – keep content focused on key competencies that your newspaper does better than the competition.
- Reporters must get out of the office – provide them with the tools to be successful, including mobile phones, iPads, hotspots, etc.
- Hire good people – rather than advertise for a particular position, find a good person and find them into your organization.
Ideas to implement at your newspaper:
- Aurasma app – use augmented reality (AR) to turn print product into interactive digital property.
- Wednesday Wags – feature a one-minute video of an animal from a local shelter on your website.
- Host an editorial meeting at local coffee shop, and invite readers to participate.
- Post an engaging single scroll story to increase length of time on website .
- Publish a church directory.
- Sponsor a benefit concert.
- Celebrate your Thanksgiving Day paper by offering curb service for sales, and partner with a radio station for more exposure.