5% of digital revenue coming from Google and Facebook – 40% of digital traffic
- Google will help you understand your audience and Facebook Live can help with video. Despite this, they are still taking our revenue
- Modest successes with Nextdoor – Nextdoor invited Bay Area papers put news stories into neighborhood groups
- Close, local relationships are one thing local media companies have that Google, Facebook, etc. do not.
- Facebook now more than ever should be thought of as a marketing vehicle
- Resource: DCN’s Distributed Content Revenue Benchmark Report (Digital Content Next) https://digitalcontentnext.org/blog/2017/01/25/dcns-distributed-content-revenue-benchmark-report/
- Google and Facebook need friends right now as they are the most vulnerable that they have been in 10 years – associations should help members get what they can
- Facebook grants – more likely to work through associations, sponsorships