2017 Session Recap
Successful news media organizations are recruiting talent with a combination of traditional and new skills, Internet knowledge, and fresh ideas, who are also adept at creating original content. However, this is often easier said than done. Here are some tips to consider.
- News media organizations are competing for talent with young start-ups who offer a different experience, and know how to market to, and attract, millennials.
- Diversity of cultural backgrounds and age is key so your news media organization looks and sounds like the community it’s serving.
- Ask potential employees what they can bring to the table, how they express their individuality, and what they can surprise you with.
- Provide mentors for both new staff, and veteran staff.
- Invest in training on new platforms to reduce staff turnover.
- Editorial and advertising must have mutual understanding and respect.