2017 Session Recap
Good web design is essential for creating a good user experience. Here are 10 tips to consider.
- Stop focusing on the home page – focus on the story page. Use Adobe Spark to pull in a variety of elements.
- Keep navigation and hierarchy simple – keep it simple and uncluttered.
- Think small – small tweaks can have a big impact – focus on photos and headlines.
- Get off the desktop – many users visit your site from a mobile device. Check multiple types of phones to see how your content is visible.
- Design in browser – avoid static design, and design using the same technology that powers your site. Use a heatmap to see where visitors are clicking on your site - Zarget offers a free trial. Pages should load in less than two seconds.
- Think holistically – keep the branding consistent across all platforms – logo, color scheme, typography, etc.
- Make peace with digital ads – they help pay some of the bills, and they can, and should be, useful
- Use atomic design - identify shared components rather than designing individual pages.
- Get accessible – anyone, regardless of ability, should be able to use your content – consider contrast of colors on site, type size, add captioning to video, etc.
- Talk to users – if you’re making decisions in a vacuum, you’re probably making the wrong decisions.