Seven things you didn’t know you were doing wrong
- Start focusing on the story page – pull quotes, avoid too much on right-hand rail, start with a photo gallery
- Hype up your stickiness – keep viewers on your website longer. Easy navigation, valuable, up-to-date, relatable and relevant content.
- The role of the home page – easy to identify latest news, live feed (auto-reload). Don’t many viewers use social media/search to find articles? Why focus on homepage? Loyal users will use homepage, especially to view latest content/news – put related content on direct article pages to keep those that haven’t visited homepage interested and coming back.
- Typography – size of type is crucial, 18-20 px optimal, line height 1.5x, paragraph spacing 2x, paragraph width no more than 55-75 characters, high contrast ratios
- Use of space – let your content breathe, not every area needs to be covered with something
- Speed is beautiful – slow load times = no retention
- Design in-browser – keep your audience in mind, how and when they are reading and build according to that – tablets, laptops, mobile (all have different design). Being mobile-first is important.