America East 2017: Innovation, collaboration and revenue generation
HARRISBURG, Pa. (April 20, 2017) — More than 800 registered participants traveled to the Hershey Lodge and Convention Center for the 2017 America East Media Business and Technology Conference last week.
This year’s attendees, vendors and industry partners agreed that the conference offered top-notch sessions and speakers, unparalleled networking opportunities and a trade show floor featuring 70+ suppliers offering products and solutions designed to meet the needs and challenges of the news media industry.
On Tuesday, a collaboration with Great Lakes/MidStates offered conference attendees pre-press, press and post-press production-focused roundtable discussions, and in the Interstate Circulation Managers’ Association (I-SCMA) featured circulation-specific programming to participants. President Teri Henning said, "This year’s conference had something for everyone – the program lineup featured more than 100 speakers - which is a record - and content focused on critical issues and opportunities facing the industry, such as technology trends, learning to leverage legacy products, user experience and design, product and project management, mobile, new revenue and much more. We’ve already received rave reviews from attendees regarding this year’s programming, and are looking for feedback from all attendees on how we can make next year’s show even better.”
· A keynote address by Margaret Sullivan, media columnist at The Washington Post, reinforcing the importance of quality regional journalism and transparency.
· A New Revenue Streams panel, featuring a variety of initiatives such as event sponsorships and milestone celebrations, ballots, co-op advertising and the launch of a full-service real estate agency.
· A Conversation with Jim Brady, CEO, Spirited Media, who reiterated the importance of building an interesting and authentic brand, along with a flexible newsroom.
· Panelists from Calkins, Stringr and Lemonwhale, who stressed the need for news media organizations to enter the video space; in addition to monetization opportunities, video provides an alternative, exclusive avenue for local content that can fuel legacy products and be offered to current subscribers.
· A theater presentation on current Technology Trends shaping the news media industry, including wearables, voice-activated search, and even autonomous vehicles. With the influx of connectivity-based data, news organizations have an opportunity to better understand consumer behavior and develop tailored consumer solutions.
· The announcement of the 2017 Digital Media Contest winners. View a complete list.
· The many other sessions from this year’s event covered podcasting, recruiting, user experience and design, product and project management, and dozens of other hot topics facing the industry. Conference attendees may visit the America East website to view presentations.
America East is administered by the Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association, with the help of co-sponsoring state press associations and media partners. The annual conference focuses on growing audience and maximizing print and digital revenue. With its convenient location in Hershey, America East is the largest regional conference for the newspaper industry on the East Coast.
Mark your calendars for America East 2018: March 12 - 14 in Hershey, Pa. as we look forward to providing another valuable, interactive, economical experience for professionals in the news media industry. To learn more and to receive updates, visit www.america-east.com.
About PNA: The PNA, founded in 1925, is the nonprofit trade association for print and digital news media in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Its mission is to advance the business interests of Pennsylvania news media organizations and to promote a free and independent press. It has more than 300 newspaper and media-related members, including daily, weekly, and college newspapers and online publications. Learn more at www.panewsmedia.org.
America East 2017 preparations underway
The 2017 event will once again feature ample general and breakout educational sessions, interactive hands-on workshops and multiple networking opportunities on the robust trade show floor. Industry leaders will address hot topics and discuss current trends in both the print and digital sides of the news media landscape.
A sampling of session topics will include:
- Technology Trends to Watch
- Leveraging the Legacy
- News on the Go: Developments in Mobile
- The Changing Newsroom Model
- Product & Project Management
- Making Sense of the Numbers
- Recruitment Strategies
- The New Circulation Department
- Health & Safety Updates
- Community Newspapers Doing Things Right
2017 Trade show floor enhancements include guided exhibit hall tours and vendor speed networking, allowing for alternative ways to connect with and learn about the products and services offered by our exhibiting partners.